William D. Edwards
Mr. Edwards practices primarily in the areas of wealth transfer tax planning, wealth transfer strategies, taxation, conservatorships, and corporate law. He counsels high-net worth individuals, including professionals, executives, and entrepreneurs, on estate planning and administration, charitable giving, business succession planning, asset protection, and taxation. He also advises tax-exempt organizations on a variety of corporate governance and tax-related issues including qualification and application for tax exemption, mergers, dissolutions, grantmaking, and excise taxes.
Mr. Edwards represents clients before the Tennessee Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service and has obtained private letter rulings on behalf of individuals, estates, and business entities.
Prior to law school, Mr. Edwards worked for an accounting firm. While obtaining an LL.M. in Taxation, he served as a law clerk with the Internal Revenue Service's Office of Chief Counsel.
Mr. Edwards frequently speaks to both professional and lay groups on estate planning and related topics.
Mr. Edwards and his wife, Becca, have one son and are members of Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church. He enjoys the lake, spending time with his family, and following collegiate and professional sports.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning-Wills, Trusts & Probate
- Nonprofit Entities
- Asset Protection
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi
- Lambuth University, Jackson, Tennessee
- Major: Accounting and Management
- Trusts 101, National Business Institute
- The Complete Trust Course, PESI Law and Accounting
Honors and Awards
- American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Research and Writing
- CALI Award for Academic Excellence, Federal Tax Procedure
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American, Knoxville, Misissippi & Tennessee Bar Associations, Member
- Knoxville Estate Planning Council, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Holbrook Peterson Smith PLLC, Associate
- Internal Revenue Service, Office of Chief Counsel, Law Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Mission First Legal Aid Office Tax Preparation Assistance Clinic, Coordinator
- Wills for Heroes, Volunteer