Get in touch with Kenan today:
Kenan's Areas of Practice
T. Kenan Smith received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Tennessee, graduating with high honors. Commissioned as an officer, he served for three years with the United States Army. He received his law degree from the University of Tennessee and was admitted to the Bar in 1987. From 2012 through 2015 he served as the Managing Partner of Hodges, Doughty & Carson. Except for a four-month interruption for military service in the Persian Gulf, he has practiced with the firm since completing law school. He served on the Webb School of Knoxville Board of Trustees from 1991-2001. He was a recipient of the Robert Webb Service Award in 2006. He served as President of the Sigma Chi Housing Corporation (Beta Sigma Chapter) from 2002-2011. His practice is devoted to insurance defense including motor vehicle and general liability matters. His practice also includes general litigation involving commercial, domestic, and personal injury (plaintiff and defense). He is a member of the Defense Research Institute and the International Association of Defense Counsel.
I just want to say thank you so much for all your hard work. Because of you, and your team, construction began on our home today. We can finally be excited about the future with all our crazy livestock.
I was told that not only are you an excellent attorney, but a great person as well, and that is the absolute truth.
—Former Client of Kenan Smith of Hodges, Doughty & Carson, PLLC
- Tennessee, 1987
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
Honors and Awards
- Litigation Counsel of America – Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Hamilton Burnett American Inn of Court
- Knoxville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Best Lawyers in America 2013 – Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Cityview 2013 Top Knoxville Attorney – Consumer Protection-Defense; Family Law/Divorce/Child Support; Insurance Law; Personal Injury-Auto Accident-Defense; Personal Injury-Auto Accident-Plaintiffs; Wrongful Death-Defense; Wrongful Death-Plaintiff
- Best Lawyers in America 2014 – Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Cityview 2014 Top Knoxville Attorney – Family Law/Divorce/Child Support
- Best Lawyers in America 2015 – Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Cityview 2015 Top Knoxville Attorney – Personal Injury – Auto Accident – Defense
- Best Lawyers in America 2016 – Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants. Listed as Best Lawyer since 2013.
- Cityview 2016 Top Knoxville Attorney – Insurance Law, Consumer Protection – Defense/Plaintiff, Family Law/Divorce/Child Support
- Best Lawyers in America 2017 – Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Cityview 2017 Top Knoxville Attorney – Family Law/Divorce/Child Support
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 - Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Professional Associations and Memberships
Past Employment Positions
- United States Army, Officer