W. Michael Baisley practices in the areas of business transactions, real estate, commercial law, and business litigation. Typical client engagements include new entity formation, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, shareholder disputes, and bankruptcy and creditor’s rights. He also represents both owners and contractors in construction disputes.
Mr. Baisley joined Hodges, Doughty & Carson in 2009 after practicing with another Knoxville law firm for four years. He received his law degree from the University of Tennessee College of Law in 2005, where he was a member of The Tennessee Law Review and served on the editorial board for Transactions: The Tennessee Journal of Business Law. In 2004, his classmates elected him President of the Business & Tax Law Association and he was also named a member of the Moot Court Board after earning honors for “Best Brief” in the Advocate’s Prize Competition. Upon completing law school. Mr. Baisley received a Dean’s Citation for extraordinary service to the College of Law.
Mr. Baisley is an active leader in the Knoxville legal community. He served as President of the Knoxville Barristers in 2009 and as a member of the Board of Governors for the Knoxville Bar Association. He is also a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Federalist Society, and the Associated General Contractors Young Constructors Forum.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Law
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Law
- Construction Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies
- Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. – 2005
- Law Review: The Tennessee Law Review, Member
- Law Journal: Transactions: The Tennessee Journal of Business Law, Editorial Board
- Furman University
Honors and Awards
- Cityview 2009 Top Knoxville Attorney – Construction Litigation and Collections
- Cityview 2011 Top Knoxville Attorney – Banking Law, Collections/Foreclosures & Contract Law
- Cityview 2012 Top Knoxville Attorney – Collections/Foreclosure
- Mid-South Rising Star 2012 – Business/Corporate
- Cityview 2013 Top Knoxville Attorney – Banking Law; Business Litigation; Business/Commercial Law; Collections/Foreclosure; Construction Law; Contract Law; Corporate Law; Real Estate Finance & Development
- Mid-South Rising Star 2013 – Business/Corporate
- Cityview 2014 Knoxville Top Attorney – Real Estate Finance & Development, Corporate Law, Construction Law, Business/Commercial Law, Business Litigation, Banking Law
- Best Lawyers in America 2015 – Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Mid-South Rising Star 2014 — Business/Corporate
- Global Awards 2015, Corporate LiveWire, Winner
- Cityview 2015 Knoxville Top Attorney – Real Estate Finance & Development, Contract Law, Construction Law, Collections/Forclosures, Business/Commercial Law, Business Litigation, Banking Law
- Best Lawyers in America 2016 – Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships). Listed as Best Lawyer since 2015.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President of the Knoxville Barristers in 2009
- Board of Governors for the Knoxville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Federalist Society
- Associated General Contractors Young Constructors Forum
- ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Corporate and LLC Formation Issues” and “Confidentiality and Employment Agreements,” Tennessee Bar Association Transactional Practice 2014. Knoxville, TN, October 2014.