Get in touch with Donald today:
Donald's Areas of Practice
Donald J. Farinato has been practicing law for more than 15 years. His practice focuses on the administration of all types of estates and trusts. Donald represents beneficiaries and fiduciaries in routine probate matters, as well as in complex probate proceedings and in estate controversies. He builds on his administration expertise to help clients craft individualized estate plans through Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Living Wills, Advance Care Plans, and other estate planning documents and techniques. Donald works with families and courts in conservatorship and guardianship matters, and also assists individuals with wealth transfer tax return preparation and audits. Additionally, Donald provides legal advice to businesses for various formation and operational matters.
- Tennessee – 1999
- Massachusetts – 1997
- New Hampshire – 1998
- United States Tax Court – 2000
- United States District Court – Eastern District of Tennessee – 2000
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee Juris Doctorate – 1997
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee Masters of Business Administration – 1997
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude – 1989
Honors and Awards
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee Pro Bono Partner Award – 2015
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee Pro Bono Advocacy Award – 2011
- The Pro Bono Project Recognition Award – 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Tennessee Supreme Court, Attorney for Justice – 2014 - 2017
- CityView Top Knoxville Attorney – Listed in various categories including Wills/Probate, Estate Planning/Trusts, and Income Tax/IRS Resolutions since 2009.
- Cityview 2016 Top Knoxville Attorney – Elder Law, Income Tax/IRS Resolution, Estate Planning/Trusts, Wills/Probate
- Cityview 2017 Top Knoxville Attorney – Elder Law, Estate Planning/Trusts
- Cityview 2018 Top Knoxville Attorney – Elder Law, Wills/Probate
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 – Trusts & Estates
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Tennessee Bar Association TBA Estate Planning and Probate Section Executive Council 2010 – present; Chair 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 Member, Estate Planning and Probate Section; Member, Elder Law Section; Member, Tax Law Section.
- Knoxville Bar Association KBA Mentor for the Moment, 2012 – present KBA Work/Life Balance Section, Co-Chair – 2013 KBA Law Education Committee, Co-Chair – 2007
- American Bar Association Member, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, Tax Law Section
- Knoxville Estate Planning Council
- Donald frequently lectures on various estate planning, estate administration and related topics, including ethics in estate planning and revisions to tax laws. He has spoken at seminars produced by various organizations, including the Knoxville Bar Association, the Tennessee Bar Association, the Tennessee Attorneys Memo, and the Knoxville Estate Planning Council. In addition to presenting seminars to attorneys, Donald also presents seminars to non-attorneys, financial advisors, paralegals and civic organizations.
- Donald has written articles for the Tennessee Bar Association on trust and estate matters. He is also a contributing author to the Legal Handbook for Tennessee Seniors.