Get in touch with Will today:
Will's Areas of Practice
William D. Edwards (Will) received a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting and Management from Lambuth University, a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Mississippi College School of Law, and a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from Washington University School of Law in St. Louis. He is licensed to practice law in Tennessee and Mississippi.
Will practices primarily in the areas of wealth transfer tax planning, wealth transfer strategies, taxation, conservatorships, and corporate law. He counsels high-net worth individuals, including professionals, executives, and entrepreneurs, on estate planning and administration, charitable giving, business succession planning, asset protection, and taxation. He also advises tax-exempt organizations on a variety of corporate governance and tax-related issues including qualification and application for tax exemption, mergers, dissolutions, grantmaking, and excise taxes.
Will represents clients before the Tennessee Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service and has obtained private letter rulings on behalf of individuals, estates, and business entities.
Prior to law school, Will worked for an accounting firm. While obtaining an LL.M. in Taxation, he served as a law clerk with the Internal Revenue Service’s Office of Chief Counsel.
Will frequently speaks to both professional and lay groups on estate planning and related topics.
Will and his wife, Becca, have two sons and are members of Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church. He enjoys the lake, spending time with his family, and following collegiate and professional sports.
- Trusts 101, National Business Institute
- The Complete Trust Course, PESI Law and Accounting
Honors and Awards
- American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Research and Writing
- CALI Award for Academic Excellence, Federal Tax Procedure
- Cityview 2013 Top Knoxville Attorney – Estate Planning/Trusts; Wills/Probate
- Mid-South Riisng Star 2013 – Estate Planning & Probate
- Mid-South Rising Star 2014 – Estate & Probate
- Mid-South Rising Star 2015 – Estate & Probate
- Cityview 2015 Top Knoxville Attorney – Estate Planning/Trusts
- Cityview 2016 Top Knoxville Attorney – Wills, Probate
- Mid-South Rising Star 2016 – Estate & Probate
Professional Associations and Memberships
Past Employment Positions
- Holbrook Peterson Smith PLLC, Associate
- Internal Revenue Service, Office of Chief Counsel, Law Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Mission First Legal Aid Office Tax Preparation Assistance Clinic, Coordinator
- Wills for Heroes, Volunteer