From the establishment of our firm in 1931 to the present, Hodges, Doughty & Carson, PLLC has a long history of handling all types of general civil litigation matters in state, federal, and appellate courts. In addition to the handling of lawsuits involving vehicular accidents, work-related accidents, medical malpractice, and product liability matters, our attorneys are regularly involved in the handling of litigation involving employment law, civil rights, premises liability, professional liability, construction, and contractual disputes.
Several of our attorneys have also been involved in complex and mass tort litigation including toxic torts, tobacco litigation, class action, and multi vehicle accidents. We also represented a major defendant in multiple lawsuits arising out a 99-vehicle accident.
Civil Litigation Practice Areas
Our civil litigation attorneys represent clients in a wide range of industries and situations. If you need legal support and guidance with a civil litigation matter, we likely have at least one lawyer on our team with experience in that area. Some civil matters we handle frequently include:
- Insurance Defense Litigation & Claims
- Arson & Insurance Fraud
- Aviation Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Construction Law
- Products Liability Defense
- Trust and Estate/Will Contest Litigation
- Employment Law
- Appellate Law
- Private School Errors & Omissions Defense Litigation
- Nursing Home & Assisted Living Defense Litigation & Corporate Representation
- Insurance Defense Litigation & Representation
- Property Loss & Personal Injury Tort & Mass Tort Litigation
- Errors & Omissions Defense Representation
- Examination Under Oath
- Insurance Coverage & Policy Analysis & Defense
- Institutional Defense Litigation and Representation
- Not-for-Profit Defense Litigation
- Civil Rights
Meet The Civil Litigation Team
Call our office today at 865-292-2307 to learn more about our services, or how we can help you with your case.
Our attorneys who practice in this area:
- Dean B. Farmer
- Edward G. White II
- Thomas H. Dickenson
- J. William Coley
- T. Kenan Smith
- Wayne A. Kline
- B. Chase Kibler
- Joshua M. Ball
- Joshua J. Bond
- Lisa J. Hall
- E. Michael Brezina III
- Wesley Stone
- J. Scott Griswold
- Mabern E. Wall
- Bart C. Williams
- Lyndsey L. Lee
- James F. Parker
- Hiram G. Tipton, Retired
- J. Michael Haynes, Of Counsel
My experience in working with Josh Ball and Mabern Wall has been extraordinary.
As well as being totally professional and excellent lawyers, they have been caring and concerned people while helping me with my legal case. I was consulted, listened to, and kept informed every step of the way. They were by my side when I needed them and very committed to achieving the best possible result for me! I was treated as a valued friend, and that is the way I feel about them. I do not think you could find better lawyers to represent you.
— Former Client
Read on for more information about a few of our most commonly handled civil litigation areas:
Insurance Defense Litigation & Claims
We currently serve as counsel for numero insurance companies and represent them and their policyholders in a wide variety of cases. We have extensive insurance defense litigation and claims experience, and can handle any case — from a simple Knoxville car accident to the most complex litigation.
Arson & Insurance Fraud
Arson is a common source of fraudulent insurance claims. We have a team of lawyers who investigate the origin and cause of fires and conduct fire investigations to determine whether the fire was accidental or intentionally set. We represent insurance companies who receive fraudulent claims, as well as policyholders accused of arson or insurance fraud.
Our attorneys have experience handling a number of general and commercial aviation cases, including civil suits relating to airline and aviation accidents. We can represent the injured parties or the companies who own and operate aircraft, as long as no conflicts exist.
We can also help with contract matters and civil litigation stemming from leasing, buying, selling, or financing private jets, helicopters, and other personal and corporate aircraft.
Our lawyers understand the many facets of Tennessee employment law, and help local businesses ensure they do not violate the rights, interests, or privacy of their employees. At the same time, we have experience helping employees get the legal remedies they need to recover from employment law violations.
We regularly negotiate and mediate contracts and other employment or separation agreements, and can litigate these cases when necessary:
- Workers’ Compensation: We represent both individuals and insurers in workers’ compensation disputes. If you believe that your insurer denied your claim for false reasons — or you are an insurer facing an appeal — we can investigate your case and determine your best option for recovering benefits or defending your decision.
- Harassment and Employment Discrimination: We take Knoxville discrimination claims seriously. It is illegal to discriminate based on race, skin color, religion, sex, nationality, age, or disability. If you believe your employer discriminated against you — or if your company stands accused of employment discrimination — contact us right away to protect your rights. We also handle harassment claims for plaintiffs and defendants.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: We have several who work in court-annexed mediation, and regularly mediate disputes under Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 and in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee. We also have other team members who have experience arbitrating and mediating a variety of disputes, and are ready to help you reach a viable middle ground in your dispute.
- Civil Rights: We have experience representing employers and government agencies in lawsuits regarding civil rights violations based on the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964. This includes defending against police brutality claims and other cases of alleged discrimination and civil rights violations. We also help individuals file this type of claim against an employer or other organization, when necessary.
We work with businesses, industries, and individuals to litigate a variety of environmental matters in state and federal court. Whether you face a regulatory issue with a government agency or you need help recovering lost value after your land was contaminated, you need a knowledgeable Knoxville environmental lawyer on your side.
We work closely with a number of scientific, medical, and real estate experts who can help us determine the harm done by a leak or spill, and who can even testify on your behalf if litigation is necessary. Having this type of expertise on your side is key in proving your Tennessee environmental law case.
Contact Hodges, Doughty & Carson, PLLC
The Knoxville civil litigation attorneys at Hodges, Doughty & Carson, PLLC can provide the legal help and guidance you need in your civil matter. Call our office today at 865-292-2307 to learn more about our services, or how we can help you with your case.