Get in touch with James today:
James' Areas of Practice
James received his undergraduate degree magna cum laude in political science with a concentration in public administration from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and received his law degree magna cum laude from Washington and Lee School of Law. In his final semester as an undergraduate student, James served as legislative aid to the Senate Judiciary Committee of the 107th Tennessee General Assembly. During law school, James spent a summer with the chambers of then-Chief Justice Gary Wade of the Tennessee Supreme Court and an entire academic year as a law clerk-extern for Senior Justice Lawrence Koontz of the Virginia Supreme Court. Before joining Hodges, Doughty & Carson, James served a two-year appointment with the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee—a portion of that time as a law clerk for Chief District Judge Thomas A. Varlan and the remainder working for all district judges.
James concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of corporate law, business and commercial law, and construction law. His construction practice includes the representation of owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals in litigation and transactional matters related to public and private projects. James has trial experience in both state and federal court, and he has additional experience in the areas of complex civil litigation and defending class action lawsuits.
An East Tennessee native, James enjoys spending time with his family, his wife Rachel, and their dogs and cats. An Eagle Scout from Troop 6 in Knoxville, his favorite activities include sailing, hiking, swimming, and relaxing at the Parker family cabin located in Sevier County, Tennessee.
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, Virginia, JD, Magna Cum Laude – 2015
- Recipient of J. Hardin and Heather Marion Scholarships
- Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice, Notes Editor
- University of Tennessee, BS, Magna Cum Laude, 2012
Honors and Awards
- John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy Competition, Finalist
- American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Regional Champion
- National Moot Court Competition, Regional Semi-Finalist
- City View 2019 Top Knoxville Attorney-Bankruptcy Debtor
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021 – Commercial Litigation; Construction Law
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2022 - Commercial Litigation; Construction Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Knoxville Bar Association
- Hamilton Burnett American Inn of Court
- Revival of Substantive Equity: Increased Household Risk, Safety Valve Litigation and Availability of the ERISA Stock Drop Jury, 21 Wash. & Lee J. Civ. Rts. & Soc. Just. 425 (2015).
Past Employment Position
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Judicial Clerk, 2015-2017